Today’s guest is Michael Gilmore, Founder of the Money Awareness and Inclusion Awards (MAIA) and Author.
- Click above or listen to the episode on your favourite podcast platform here (Apple Podcast, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Podchaser, Overcast, Castbox, etc)
Michael is a Financial Literacy Champion and is the Founder of the Money Awareness and Inclusion Awards (MAIA), which celebrate and promote the important work being done around the world to help people understand money better. He has worked in finance for almost 25 years, most recently as a Research Director and managing funds at Albizia Capital, an independent boutique fund management company. Michael is also an author, publishing three books under the pen name “The Seven Dollar Millionaire”, with his latest book titled “The Little Book of Zen Money” released in April 2022. Michael is based in Singapore.
- Register with the Money Awareness and Inclusion Awards (MAIA), the Oscars of Financial Literacy | Website
- Purchase “The Little Book of Zen Money” on Zen Money Website | 7 Dollar Millionnaire Website | Instagram
- What Michael’s childhood was like as it related to money and finances
- The origin story of when he started working in financial literacy and how he used that anger to fuel his passion
- The smallest amount of money you can save and invest every day to become a millionaire in your lifetime
- The huge negative impact that debt has in building up your investment accounts
- What motivated him to write his first book “Happy Ever After Book: Financial Freedom Isn’t a Fairytale” for his 17-year old daughter
- The Freedom Formula “MISSION” acronym that provide the 7 simple steps to financial freedom
- How understanding money is like a pathway and that once you are on the path, it is pretty straightforward
- How money can be very simple to learn and understand and that we don’t need to overcomplicate it
- What inspired Michael to write and publish his third book “The Little Book of Zen Money”
- How being Zen with money is not about avoidance; rather, it is about seeing reality directly and facing it head on
- The importance of tracking your spending
- Why was it so important for Michael to create more awareness of financial literacy projects around the world and celebrate them through the MAIAs
- Thich Nhat Hanh (Vietnamese Monk) books
- Follow and tag moneydadpodcast on Instagram to comment on topics and ideas discussed during the episode that resonated with you or share with a friend
Thanks for listening!
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed the episode, please share it on Instagram.
Like this show? Please leave a review on Apple or Podchaser – even one sentence helps! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them. Post a screenshot of you listening in Instagram and tag me so I can thank you personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show to get automatic updates. I’ll be dropping a new episode every TUESDAY!
Thanks to Michael for joining me this week!
In case you missed it, make sure to catch up on last week’s episode “Episode 030: Be Awesome with Money and Teach Kids How to Live a Rich Life with David Delisle”!