- Click above or listen to the episode on your favourite podcast platform here (Apple Podcast, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Podchaser, Overcast, Castbox, etc)
Robert is America’s Millennial Money Expert® and America’s Student Loan Debt Expert™. He is the founder and CEO of The College Investor, which is the #1 resource for helping millennials get out of student loan debt and start building real wealth for their future. The College Investor is one of the largest personal finance websites, reaching millions of individuals every month. Robert is also the Editor-in-Chief of the Cult of Money, which is a platform used to teach personal finance for the crypto-curious. Passionate about his family, FinTech, and watching the latest Marvel movie, Robert currently resides in San Diego with his wife, son, and daughter.
- The College Investor | Website | Podcast | Youtube | Tiktok
- Cult of Money | Website | Podcast | Youtube | Tiktok
- What Robert’s childhood was like as it related to learning about money and finances
- How his parents instilled a strong work ethic in Robert, and how those life lessons have carried over to him today through earning, side-hustling and building wealth
- When and how Robert discovered his passion and interest for personal finance and investing
- How Robert viewed his income tax return as his report card
- What inspired Robert to start The College Investor to help millennials start long-term investing to build wealth and get out of student loan debt
- Why Robert is a big believer in the ROI (Return on investment) approach to college
- How young adults are not exposed to enough other options other than college
- The struggle for millennials to find balance as the sandwich generation who have aging parents and children, juggling between competing financial priorities in their lives
- What is cryptocurrency and what is its purpose
- Examples of use cases for cryptocurrency
- How cryptocurrency technology is useful given ease of use, privacy and ability to lower costs
- An analogy of how of how you can think about blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Why Robert looks at crypto from the perspective of a currency, rather than as an investment
- Examples of technology use cases for Ethereum, with smart contract functionality
- What is an NFT (Non-fungible token)
- How NFTs can be applicable to teens, in terms of gaming of skins, items
- Many examples of use cases for these NFTs
- How cryptocurrencies and NFTs can act as the onramp to get our teenagers and young adults excited about starting to invest
- What is Web 3.0 and one of the key premises is that customer/value extraction should go back to the users
- How Robert suggests teens get started in investing and what should they be investing in
- The benefits of having teens explore many different asset classes and the benefits of having small, but manageable losses
- The importance of having our teenagers and young adults build the habits of saving and investing, tracking an investment account, skills that pay dividends to our children over the long run
- Why parents need to be extremely transparent with their finances, with their teens
- Mr Beast, YouTuber
- I will teach you to be rich (2nd edition) by Ramit Sethi [Amazon Affiliate link]
- Follow and tag moneydadpodcast on Instagram to comment on topics and ideas discussed during the episode that resonated with you or share with a friend
Thanks for listening!
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed the episode, please share it on Instagram.
Like this show? Please leave a review on Apple or Podchaser – even one sentence helps! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them. Post a screenshot of you listening in Instagram and tag me so I can thank you personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show to get automatic updates. I’ll be dropping a new episode every TUESDAY!
Thanks to Robert for joining me this week!
In case you missed it, make sure to catch up on last week’s episode “Episode 016: Launching Financial Grownups with Bobbi Rebell”!