Today’s guest is Bobbi Rebell. Bobbi and I talk about what inspired her to write her latest book “Launching Financial Grownups” including the challenges and struggles that she has had in raising her teenagers/young adult children as it relates to guiding them on making smart money decisions. And she shares different strategies to use for our teenagers/young adult children.
- Click above or listen to the episode on your favourite podcast platform here (Apple Podcast, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Podchaser, Overcast, Castbox, etc)
Bobbi is a Certified Financial Planner and the author of “Launching Financial Grownups: Live Your Richest Life by Helping Your (Almost) Adult Kids Become Everyday Money Smart”. She is a financial literacy advocate and the host of the “Money Tips for Financial Grownups” podcast and the founder of GrownupGear.com. Bobbi was previously a global business news anchor and personal finance columnist at Reuters and held various journalist positions at top news outlets including CNBC, CNN and PBS. Bobbi lives in New York with her family.
- Bobbi’s website
- Purchase her latest book [Affiliate Amazon link]
- Purchase Grownup gear merchandise | Use promo code “GROWNUP“ for 15% off first purchase
- Follow Bobbi on social media | Instagram | TikTok
- What inspired Bobbi to write her latest book “Launching Financial Grownups” and her struggles and challenges in raising her teenagers/young adult children
- The main reasons why kids are taking longer to become independent adults these days compared to generations ago
- Why parents are artificially propping up a lifestyle for their young adult children
- How her daughter saved up money for a downpayment for her own apartment
- Why it is important to have an exit strategy and set clear expectations if your adult child move back home with you
- Why it is important for young adult children to also live their life for the present now, while balancing saving for tomorrow
- How the pandemic impacted relationships between parents and their older kids early on and how they evolved
- The unintended message parents send to their young adult children when they support their young adult children and why parents instead could provide for their kids’ wants, rather than their needs
- The advice for parents who feel like they are not qualified to talk to their kids about money
- How being vulnerable and open about the money choices we ourselves make and struggle with can help parents teach kids about money
- Strategies that parents can use when talking to their grown kids about money, especially when they seem to think they know better
- How listening can be critical to having money discussions with our adult children
- Why allowing your kids to experience the consequences or benefits of their money decisions is so important
- The challenge of parents letting their adult children go from a financial dependence perspective and why it is challenging given how children are wrapped up in our identity
- Why it is important to have kids understand what things cost, rather than sheltering them
- The Christie Affair by Nina de Gramont
- Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson
- The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz
- The Opposite of Spoiled by Ron Lieber [Amazon Affiliate Link]
- How to Raise an Adult by Julie Lythcott-Haims
- Follow and tag moneydadpodcast on Instagram to comment on topics and ideas discussed during the episode that resonated with you or share with a friend
Thanks for listening!
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed the episode, please share it on Instagram.
Like this show? Please leave a review on Apple or Podchaser – even one sentence helps! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them. Post a screenshot of you listening in Instagram and tag me so I can thank you personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show to get automatic updates. I’ll be dropping a new episode every TUESDAY!
Thanks to Bobbi for joining me this week!
In case you missed it, make sure to catch up on last week’s episode “Episode 015: Finding Financial Freedom and High Impact Money Lessons for your kids with Phia Zacour”!