Today’s guest is Erwin Szeto. Erwin and I talk about early childhood lessons about money his dad taught him, how his personal investment in real estate got started and why he decided to concentrate his efforts on helping investors building their portfolios. We get into how he gets his kids involved as a real estate investor and what motivated him to use real estate as a way to fund his children’s future post-secondary education needs. We talk about how he gets his kids involved in the charity that he started with his wife Cherry Chan, called the Hamilton Basket Brigade and how helping out with the charity teach his kids about the importance of giving. We get into what Erwin’s superpower is and how he uses it to help those in need. We dive into his motivation to starting the Stock Hacker Academy that teaches everyday people to build wealth through trading stock options and something that young adults or even your teenagers can get started with. And lastly, we talk about his upcoming Wealth Hacker Conference in Toronto that he and his wife are holding on November 12 of this year to share strategies on building and protecting wealth and income and best practices around achieving financial freedom.
- Click above or listen to the episode on your favourite podcast platform here (Apple Podcast, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Podchaser, Overcast, Castbox, etc)
Erwin is a real estate professional who owns an eight figure real estate portfolio and has helped coach 100’s of everyday, hard working Canadians acquire positive cash flowing residential real estate west of the greater Toronto area via his Realtor business the iWIN Real Estate team. Erwin is a multiple award winner and leader in the Cdn real estate space, winning Realtor of the Year to Investors for four consecutive years (2015-2018), 2X winner of the Real Estate Investment Community Leadership Award for his leadership and contribution to the Real Estate Investment Network (REIN) community, a top 20 influencer in Canadian real estate, and won a Top 40 Under 40 Business Award. Erwin is also a philanthropist, co-founding a charity with his wife, dedicated to helping less fortunate local Hamilton families and children. He’s also an author and a podcaster, who hosts his popular podcast “The Truth About Real Estate Investing for Canadians. And of course, he is also a husband, and father to 2 kids.
- Follow @erwinszeto on Instagram
- Subscribe to The Truth About Real Estate Investing for Canadians podcast
- Work with Erwin’s investor-focused iWIN Real Estate team to invest in real estate | Website
- Donate to Hamilton Basket Brigade charity
- Join the Stock Hacker Academy to learn how to trade stock options | Follow on Instagram
- Buy tickets and attend the Wealth Hacker Conference November 2022 | Or get more info here and use promo code “MONEYDAD” for exclusive 50% off MoneyDad listener tickets. I’ll also be speaking at the event!!
- Follow @wealthhackerconference on Instagram
- The early childhood lessons about money that Erwin’s dad taught him about trading time for money, debt and leverage
- How Erwin’s investment in real estate journey got started
- What Erwin focused on in terms of return on investment and how he used leverage
- How Erwin used his frugality early on to channel his funds towards investment
- When and why did Erwin decide to concentrate his efforts on becoming an investment-focused realtor
- The realization Erwin came to while working at his day job
- How Erwin’s mindset on helping his real estate clients has evolved over time
- What Erwin has done on behalf of his kids to fund their future post-secondary education needs
- How Erwin gets his kids involved in his real estate investment business
- How Erwin teaches his kids about the concept of money
- What motivated Erwin to use real estate to fund his children’s future post-secondary education
- Why and how Erwin gets his kids involved in his Hamilton Basket Brigade charity to teach them about giving
- What Erwin’s “superpower” and talent is and why he intends to leave his worth
- Why Erwin believes real estate should be a side-hustle for most people
- Why leaders lead from the front and how to set an example for your kids
- What motivated him to start the Stock Hacker Academy and his vision on how it can help people build wealth through trading stock options
- How Stock Hacker Academy can help those people who don’t want to invest in real estate
- Learn how to invest in companies in order to be a better employee, investor, entrepreneur
- What people can take away from the upcoming Wealth Hacking Conference – building wealth and income, protecting wealth and income, best practices
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki [Amazon Affiliate Link]
- Real Estate Investment Network (REIN)
- Get Rich with options by Lee Lowell [Amazon Affiliate Link]
- Money for nothing and your stocks for free by Derek Foster
- The Ungame
- Principles for dealing with The Changing World Order by Ray Dalio [Amazon Affiliate Link]
- The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking by Saifedean Ammous [Amazon Affiliate Link]
- Follow and tag moneydadpodcast on Instagram to comment on topics and ideas discussed during the episode that resonated with you or share with a friend
Thanks for listening!
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed the episode, please share it on Instagram.
Like this show? Please leave a review on Apple or Podchaser – even one sentence helps! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them. Post a screenshot of you listening in Instagram and tag me so I can thank you personally!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show to get automatic updates. I’ll be dropping a new episode every TUESDAY!
Thanks to Erwin for joining me this week! And if you want to listen to my own personal real estate investing journey, I was a recent guest on Erwin’s podcast, the Truth About Real Estate Investing for Canadians. Tune in here!
In case you missed it, make sure to catch up on last week’s episode “Episode 011: A Teen’s Guide to Achieving Early Financial Independence with Dan Sheeks”!
Leave a Reply